Post 16 Department - School Day
Post 16 - 8.50am - 2:45pm
In the Post 16 Department pupils follow a curriculum designed to assist them in making the transition from school to adult life. The programme is delivered both through school based activity and links into the local community. The emphasis is on the practical application of knowledge, skills and concepts.
The pupils are given the opportunity for work experiences at venues outside of school and also have the opportunity to participate in a link course at the local Southern Regional College.
At age 19 years students leave Rathore School. Some attend the Social Education Centre, Clanrye, Laurels, Prospects and Mourne Stimulus.
Aims of the Programme
- To promote the development of daily living skills through providing pupils with a varied and interesting programme.
- To promote the development of a level of maturity in relation to self-respect, respecting others and knowledge of how to react in certain situations.
- To promote the importance of good personal hygiene /suitable general appearance.
- To promote the happiness and well being of the pupils in all aspects of their daily life.
- To develop an understanding for adolescence.
- To encourage each pupil to recognise, develop upon and be rewarded for their strengths through participating in an accredited programme.
- To inform and familiarise each pupil with the range of opportunities available when leaving school.
There are two classes following the programme. The Post - 16 (1) is made up of pupils who on leaving school should progress to a day care service that provides further opportunities to maximise their potential.
Post -16 (2) is made up of pupils who will progress to vocational training / supported employment on leaving school. The learning areas are included in both programmes.